Petroglyph National Monument in Pictures
Just on the outskirts of Albuquerque, New Mexico, lies one of the largest petroglyph sites in North America. Petroglyph National Monument protects a history of human record – from native Pueblo ancestors to Spanish settlers between 400 and 700 years ago.
We explored the Piedras Marcadas Canyon Trail at sunrise during our visit, and the views were amazing. There are lots of petroglyphs to see along the way, and if you’re lucky, you’ll see some wildlife as well.
Things to see and do in Petroglyph National Monument
- Hike one of the three canyon trails to view some petroglyphs – Boca Negra Canyon, Rinconada Canyon, or Piedras Marcadas Canyon
- Go for a bike ride in Boca Negra Canyon
- Stop by the Visitor Center
- Enjoy sunrise in the Sandias
- Have a picnic
- Hike around the cinder cones of Volcanoes Day Use Area
Petroglyph National Monument Hours
Petroglyph National Monument has the following hours and is open every day.
Visitor Center: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm (closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Years Day)
Park District – Boca Negra Canyon: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Park District – Rinconada Canyon: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Park District – Piedras Marcadas Canyon: Sunrise to Sunset
Park District – Volcanoes Day Use Area: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Visiting New Mexico? Check out all of the incredible National Park sites in New Mexico here.
Directions to Petroglyph National Monument
Petroglyph National Monument is actually several parks, so you’ll want to decide which parts of the monument you want to visit. The Visitor Center does not have any petroglyphs or trails that lead to petroglyphs from there, so plan accordingly.
Petroglyph National Monument Park Stats
Date created: 1990
Annual Visitors: 364,211 in 2021
Fun Fact: Scholars believe that Petroglyph National Monument served as a sort of waypoint for ancient Puebloan travelers to communicate with each other, rest, and socialize. It’s also one of the largest petroglyph sites in North America.
Visitor Centers and Passport Stamps
The Visitor Center address is 6001 Unser Blvd. NW
Albuquerque , NM 87120
GPS Coordinates for the Petroglyph National Monument Visitor Center: Latitude: 35.139 Longitude: -106.711
From here, grab a map of the park or shop at the Western National Park Association store.
AftT Tip: There are no trails directly at the Visitor Center, so plan on taking a short drive to one of the trailheads to view petroglyphs.
Other Nearby Parks
- White Sands National Park
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Bandalier National Monument
- Aztec Ruins National Monument
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Petrified Forest National Park
- Mesa Verde National Park
- Great Sand Dunes National Park
Have you visited Petroglyph National Monument?
You May Also Like
- Arizona: Best Things to do in Saguaro National Park
- Utah’s National Parks: A Family Road Trip to Visit Utah’s Mighty Five
- South Carolina: Visiting Congaree National Park, SC
- West Virginia: Visiting New River Gorge National Park
Let’s be friends! Come follow us on our social media channels.